Natural Cleaning Solutions
- Scouring Powder - Baking soda can be used to help eliminate odors and for a gentle substitute for scouring powder.
- Blood Stains - Hydrogen peroxide can be used in the laundry room to remove blood stains.
- Fruit Juice & Wine Stains - Poor boiling water directly on the stain to remove fruit juice and wine stains
- Window Cleaneer - A little bit of ammonia or vinegar can be added to a bucket of hot water to wash your window use newspaper to dry and your windows will sparkle.
- Furniture Polish - Olive oil can be used to clean your furniture, just dab a little on your cleaning cloth and polish.
- Toilet Cleaner - Borax can be used to clean your toilet: Pour 1 cup of borax into the toilet water at night. In the morning, scrub and flush. For extra cleaning, add ½ cup vinegar to the borax.
- General Cleaner - Soap can be used to clean most everything from your hands to your counter tops. Use warm water and soap, they work just as well as anti-bacterial or anti-microbial products which may contain ingredients that pollute the environment or cause antibiotic resistance. You can feel good about making your own natural cleanings while at the same time guarding your health and the environment.
- 1/2 cup of vinegar
- 1/4 cup of Baking soda
- 1/2 gallon water
- Marker to label container
Making your own all-purpose cleaner is a good way to keep your wallet from being cleaned out. Additionally, making your own basic cleaner is a lot more environmentally friendly than some commercial cleaners can be. If you have a good spray bottle, water, vinegar, and baking soda then you're all set to start. The purpose of the vinegar is that it helps get rid of mold, cut grease, and kill germs. The baking soda is good for getting out hard water stains and neutralizing odor, especially in the bathroom and kitchen. The great thing about baking soda is that it's non-toxic so it's completely safe for people and pets. While this all-purpose cleaner is non-toxic, it's still a good idea to keep it labeled and out of reach of children.